From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:20:55
1 Santiago M. Mola wrote:
2 > It's not as simple as that. A package may fail tests because compiler
3 > bugs, build environment misconfiguration, problems in a library which
4 > is being used, a setup problem or, of course, a bug in the package
5 > which shows up in rare cases and haven't been spotted by upstream yet.
6
7 May happen indeed.
8
9 > When the package can be critical for the system, upgrading to a buggy
10 > version will eat people's dogs. I feel a bit safer when I run the test
11 > phase for my package manager, and I wouldn't install it if it's
12 > failing any test. I don't think that's too paranoid.
13
14 The main point is that it could be overly bothersome, if you depend on
15 certain applications you won't just use the standard testsuite but also
16 run your batch of compliance checks, but that isn't common.
19 > Upstream clearly states that a gmp build which tests have failed
20 > shouldn't be used. I bet they deny support for users who fail to
21 > follow that indication ;-)
22
23 gmp isn't a key component if you aren't using math/sci applications
24 using it. You may point openssl as something you may want to have a
25 round of checks before is too late, same for openssh.
26
27 Still there are people perfectly happy w/out those since they do not use
28 those packages that for me and possibly many other are vital.
29
30 I won't be happy to have gcc have its batch of tests run, just to see
31 later it fails on ffmpeg because the tests do not catch those
32 conditions, I have better way to break gcc than those you have in the
33 regression test =/
34
35 Changing the default features would just at best have people that do not
36 care switch to -test, people that care already about that won't be
37 affected and just create an annoyance.
38
39 Putting it in an eapi makes not much sense as well since you may change
40 the defaults as you wish since they aren't causing incompatibilities.
41
42 To sum up:
43 - having the test feature on by default isn't good for anybody but
44 paranoids and lazy developers, paranoids have that already on, lazy
45 developers will switch it off for them and let people do the automated
46 test for them.
47 - having that mandated by the eapi doesn't have sense since it doesn't
48 change anything by itself.
49
50 lu
54 Luca Barbato