From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:50:26
1 On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> A whole bunch of science packages have upstreams that say "If you're
4 >> building from source, run 'make check' and if it fails don't carry on".
5 >
6 > Their rationale behind that is that their code is severely broken, using
7 > experimental features from their language of choice or, simply, that they
8 > are paranoid and couldn't think better ways to annoy people?
11 It's not as simple as that. A package may fail tests because compiler
12 bugs, build environment misconfiguration, problems in a library which
13 is being used, a setup problem or, of course, a bug in the package
14 which shows up in rare cases and haven't been spoted by upstream yet.
15
16 When the package can be critical for the system, upgrading to a buggy
17 version will eat people's dogs. I feel a bit safer when I run the test
18 phase for my package manager, and I wouldn't install it if it's
19 failing any test. I don't think that's too paranoid.
20
21 Also let's put a real example: gmplib. From www.gmplib.org on the front page:
22 " IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL GMP USERS:
23
24 GMP is very often miscompiled! We are seeing ever increasing problems
25 with miscompilations of the GMP code. It has now come to the point
26 where a compiler should be assumed to miscompile GMP. Please never use
27 your newly compiled libgmp.a or libgmp.so without first running make
28 check. If it doesn't complete without errors, don't trust the library.
29 Please try another compiler release, or change optimization flags
30 until it works. If you have the skill to isolate the problem, please
31 report it to us if it is a GMP bug; else to the compiler vendor. (The
32 compilers that cause problems are HP's unbundled compilers and GCC, in
33 particular Apple's GCC releases.) "
34
35 Upstream clearly states that a gmp build which tests have failed
36 shouldn't be used. I bet they deny support for users who fail to
37 follow that indication ;-)
38
39 Regards,
40 --