From: Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild optional dependancy question
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:32:52
1 On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Brian M. Rzycki wrote:
2
3 > The second program (yafc -- yafc.sourceforge.net) is not as
4 > straightforward as zile. For the uninitiated, yafc is an interactive
5 > ftp client similar to lftp with support for socks4/5, kerberos4/5, and
6 > sftp. Yafc's configure script automatically enables/disables ssh and
7 > readline if it finds the libraries. The same is not true for socks and
8 > kerberos. I merged kth-krb (kerberos4) and saw it installed everything in
9 > /usr/athena. When I manually gave configure the parameter
10 > --with-krb4=/usr/athena it compiled with kerberos4 support. I had similar
11 > results with dante (socks4/5).
12 >
13 > After discovering I had to manually apply parameters to the configure
14 > script in order for socks/kerberos support I went looking for use
15 > variables. I planned on using the "if [ -z "use_var" ]" trick from the
16 > gentoo-howto. Unfortunately I didn't see either socks or krb4/5 use
17 > variables.
18 >
19 > So my question is this: What is the correct gentoo way of discovering
20 > these packages? Should I consult /var/db/pkg/app_group/app_name* to see
21 > if the program is installed? Should I check the physical location for
22 > the libraries (a la -d /usr/athena)? Or am I just a numbskull and
23 > missing some obvious feature of portage which makes my life much easier?
24
25 I was actually planning on making a yafc ebuild myself :). Anyway, you
26 want to use the notation like this (which is all in the developer howto):
27
28 DEPEND="...
29 lots of usual stuff
30 ...
31 NAME_OF_USE_VAR? ( >=category/package-version_number )
32
33 for example:
34
35 krb4? ( >=app-crypt/kth-krb-1.1-r1 )
36
37 Then, in the src_compile secion of the ebuild, you want to put:
38
39 local myopts
40
41 if [ -n "`use krb4`" ]
42 then
43 myopts="${myopts} --with-krb4"
44 fi
45
46 ./configure \
47 ${myopts}
48
49 You might want to read some other ebuilds to get a good feel as to how
50 this works.
51
52 Disclaimer:
53 I'm not a gentoo developer, so my suggestions are subject to critisizm.
54 Also, krb4 is not a recognized USE parameter. You might want to ask an
55 official gentoo developer how that should be handled, perhaps there should
56 be an official gentoo USE parameter for kerberos 4 and 5. My suggestion
57 is krb4 and krb5, but that's just my suggestion.
58
59 Hope this was helpful.
62 /*
63 * Bob Phan <bob@×××××××××××××××××.net,rphan@××××.com>
64 * Computational Chemistry Informatics
65 * Neurogen Corporation
66 * (203)488-8201 x4645
67 *
68 * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
69 */