From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal of accepting arguments to `default` in src_install (and more?) phases in EAPI=5 (for the next council meeting?)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:54:12
1 Example,
2
3 - Package is using autotools.
4 - The default phase like below works for the package:
5
6 src_install() {
7 emake DESTDIR="${D}" install
8 dodoc README
9 }
10
11 So when writing a new ebuild you would only add:
12
13 DOCS="README"
14
15 And be done with it. Then the next version of the package needs extra
16 argument passed to emake install, for example:
17
18 src_install() {
19 emake DESTDIR="${D}" init_d_path="/usr/share/doc/${PF}/examples" install
20 dodoc README
21 }
22
23 So you are /forced/ to write entire src_install() while you only want to
24 append one argument to emake install.
25
26 The current workaround for this is to use EXTRA_EMAKE from ebuild, but I
27 find this rather ugly (if not even forbidden by some PMS magic?)
28
29 Can we make econf in src_configure, emake in src_compile, and emake
30 install in src_install accept arguments "$@" in EAPI=5, please?
31
32 Relavent bug is http://bugs.gentoo.org/364343
33