From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: epause instead of sleep in ebuilds
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 06:52:19
1 On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:17:13 +0200
2 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think it's much easier and more user-friendly to make emerge
5 > less verbose
6
7 You can give a try to my patch in bug #37491, I've updated it for
8 last portage pre-release, and making emerge a bit quiet was its
9 exact purpose.
10
11 > * Applying ncurses-5.4-xterm.patch...
12 > * Applying ncurses-5.4-share-sed.patch...
13
14 Imho, this ones should not be shown to user. With my patch, such
15 messages could be changed from "einfo" to "veinfo", which looks
16 the same but only display in verbose output/log. Since they are
17 mostly in a few eclasses, that would not be to much work to make
18 this cleanup.
19
20 > of course this is not fine if you have a package that failed to
21 > emerge, but caching the last X lines and printing it in case of
22 > an error would be a nice workaround
23
24 What I do is that if emerge is in quiet mode, and the user don't
25 uses PORT_LOGDIR, then there will still be a verbose log in ${T}.
26 And "die" messages point to this log. (see the 2nd screenshot in
27 the bug report)
28
29 > -v could be used to get the old-fashioned style.
30
31 With my patch, default behavior is still to be verbose, but if
32 "quiet" is in feature flags (or on command line options). And yes,
33 in all case, -v forces verbose mode.
36 TGL.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list