From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: epause instead of sleep in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:17:17
1 Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 >>A quick glance suggests they're all for making sure an einfo/ewarn gets
3 >>read.
6 > If they really are, then we don't need an epause, as this is not at all
7 > adequate for making sure that important information gets read. My server is
8 > in the basement and I just don't hear any beeping and the sleeps don't
9 > interest me because I will just open a screen session, start the merge and
10 > close it. By the time I get back to it, the ewarn in merged ebuild number 3
11 > is not even in the buffer any more, while ebuild number 10 is building.
12 >
13 > I'd propose something different. Have all ewarns/einfos put into some file,
14 > document where it is and display its contents and location _after_ the whole
15 > merge is over. This way I might see it, when I come to close the screen
16 > session/see if any build stopped.
17
18 I think it's much easier and more user-friendly to make emerge less
19 verbose, the only thing the user would see is (in case of a successful
20 emerge) this:
21
22 >>> Unpacking ncurses-5.4.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work
23 * Applying ncurses-5.4-xterm.patch...
24 * Applying ncurses-5.4-share-sed.patch...
25
26 * Using GNU config files from /usr/share/libtool
27 * Updating config.sub
28 * Updating config.guess
29
30 >>> Source unpacked.
31 >>> Install ncurses-5.4-r5 into /var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/image/
32 category sys-libs
33 * Installing basic terminfo files in /etc...
34 >>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/image/
35 >>> Merging sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r5 to /
36 >>> Auto-cleaning packages ...
37 >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
38
39 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
40
41 or so ;)
42
43 of course this is not fine if you have a package that failed to emerge,
44 but caching the last X lines and printing it in case of an error would
45 be a nice workaround so if there is an error you don't have to reemerge
46 the package with verbose option and if there is no one, you only see
47 what really is interesting. -v could be used to get the old-fashioned style.
48
49 blubb