From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GWN Comments
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:15:56
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, George Prowse wrote:
4 > >> I'd like to propose some form of ability to post user comments
5 > >> to GWN stories. I suppose a full blown CMS system would work,
6 > >> but for the ease of time I'm suggesting that perhaps we open up
7 > >> a GWN section on the forums and post the text of the GWN (or
8 > >> perhaps each section) in a new thread each week and allow users
9 > >> to write comments. I think opening up this venue of feedback
10 > >> would let users more readily tell us what they're interested
11 > >> in, and it would allow GWN contributors/editors/etc to see some
12 > >> of the fruits of their labors.
13 > >>
14 > >> Any comments?
15 > >
16 > >Principally, I agree (though I'd also rather go with the blog
17 > >approach as Patrick suggested). One point though: commenting only
18 > >being possible after registration may cut down on the spam (both
19 > >commercial and vandalism),
20 >
21 > You have to register for a forums as well (usually) and if it were
22 > made part of Gentoo's forums then there would be no need for extra
23 > moderators.
24
25 Okay, I put it a bit strangely. What I meant was that a blog does
26 not need registration (if it has sufficient anti-spam measures).
27 A forum usually does.
28
29 > >but it also raises the bar for legitimate comments.
30 >
31 > Again, the thread system of forums allows for easier viewing of comments.
32
33 Easier than a blog? I beg to differ. Does a forum have an RSS
34 feed I can subscribe to? A blog puts more emphasis on the order
35 of articles (in time) than a forum does. So I'm leaning towards a
36 blog.
37
38 > >I'm not saying there should be no hurdle, it's just that it
39 > >should be thought of/decided beforehand.
40 >
41 > Personally I think discussions in a wiki get more difficult the longer
42 > the discussion carries on, also i think the ability to get an email
43 > after comments have been made on a thread is a *big* advantage over
44 > the wiki style.
45
46 Oh, I wasn't suggesting using a wiki. One probably could make a
47 wiki work the way needed here, but I think using a blog (or
48 forums) is far easier.
49
50 > It would be easier to clean up and cut down on vandalism because GWN
51 > contributors and authors could have an ability to moderate said forum
52 > and delete threads once they have been used or discarded.
53
54 Well, moderators on a blog could do that too: most blogs allow
55 comments to be closed for articles older than a set number of
56 months/weeks.
57
58 Regards,
59 Tobias
60 --
61 You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list