From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GWN Comments
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:29:55
1 On 19/06/06, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Caleb Tennis wrote:
5 > > I'd like to propose some form of ability to post user comments
6 > > to GWN stories. I suppose a full blown CMS system would work,
7 > > but for the ease of time I'm suggesting that perhaps we open up
8 > > a GWN section on the forums and post the text of the GWN (or
9 > > perhaps each section) in a new thread each week and allow users
10 > > to write comments. I think opening up this venue of feedback
11 > > would let users more readily tell us what they're interested
12 > > in, and it would allow GWN contributors/editors/etc to see some
13 > > of the fruits of their labors.
14 > >
15 > > Any comments?
16 >
17 > Principally, I agree (though I'd also rather go with the blog
18 > approach as Patrick suggested). One point though: commenting only
19 > being possible after registration may cut down on the spam (both
20 > commercial and vandalism),
21
22 You have to register for a forums as well (usually) and if it were
23 made part of Gentoo's forums then there would be no need for extra
24 moderators.
25
26 > but it also raises the bar for legitimate comments.
27
28 Again, the thread system of forums allows for easier viewing of comments.
29
30 > I'm not saying there should be no hurdle, it's just that it
31 > should be thought of/decided beforehand.
32 >
33 > Regards,
34 > Tobias
35
36 Personally I think discussions in a wiki get more difficult the longer
37 the discussion carries on, also i think the ability to get an email
38 after comments have been made on a thread is a *big* advantage over
39 the wiki style.
40
41 It would be easier to clean up and cut down on vandalism because GWN
42 contributors and authors could have an ability to moderate said forum
43 and delete threads once they have been used or discarded.
44
45 George
46 --
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list