From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: mcummings@××××××××.net, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Peer-to-Peer?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:54:43
1 On Thursday 18 July 2002 09:36 am, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > I just wanted to repeat, I meant absolutely no offense or disrespect
3 > with this posting, turn the flame guns off, yada yada yada. I think the
4 > "technology"/technique posted about is interesting, could be useful,
5 > just IMHO binaries for the gentoo packages goes against why something
6 > like gentoo is so great...
7
8 While I have absolutely no interest in precompiled binaries for Gentoo, I do
9 think that using some kind of p2p approach, like FreeNet for example, as a
10 way of distributing tarballs and perhaps even portage trees, would be very
11 cool. I've had 'emerge sync's fail on more than one occasion because the
12 round robin rsync server I connect to happens to have its connections maxed
13 out.
14
15 One of the real strengths of FreeNet is that the more popular something
16 becomes, the more available it becomes, rather than the opposite as is the
17 case with more traditional client-server designs (which http and ftp
18 essentially are).
19
20 Jean.