From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments on bugs.g.o
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:27:37
1 On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 18:29 -0400, Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:58:46 +0200
3 > "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > It's not about trust, it's about knowing what the CFLAGS/FEATURES
6 > > were. That way if someone else reports a failure, you can compare the
7 > > reports and see what differences might be triggering the fault.
8 >
9 > I get that posting `emerge --info` provides a "known good" set of
10 > CFLAGS/USE-flags/FEATURES/toolchain versions/etc which can be useful at
11 > times. However, we don't require that developers post their emerge
12 > --info when a package works, so why do we require that ATs do it?
13
14 Honestly, it might be sufficient to only post 'emerge --info' when it
15 *doesn't* work. If we need corroboration from someone where it did
16 work, we can ask.
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
21 x86 Architecture Team