From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:56:20
1 On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 19:48 -0500, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > On 11/26/05, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > > > Good afternoon,
5 > > >
6 > > > Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
7 > > > executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
8 > > > want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
9 > > >
10 > > > Having a split debug pretty much obsoletes the need to add nostrip to
11 > > > your features in order to get debug info.
12 > > >
13 > > > Users wishing to not have debug info can simply add
14 > > > INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/debug ${INSTALL_MASK}" to make.conf or the
15 > > > environment unless we make it FEATURE based.
16 > > >
17 > > > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
18 > > > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > How useful is this debug information with -fomit-frame-pointer? From
22 > > what I have read it makes debugging at least harder. I think most people
23 > > have -fomit-frame-pointer in their CFLAGS so it should not be enabled by
24 > > default if the debug info is not very useful any way.
25 >
26 > Well, only on x86 and other lacking arches...
27
28 Please note that gcc4 generates location lists by default (at least on
29 debug builds). This should allow for debugging on x86 with
30 -fomit-frame-pointers. Not sure how that works in relation to split ELF
31 debug files.
32
33 http://gnu.paradoxical.co.uk/software/gcc/gcc-4.0/changes.html
34
35 "Location lists are now generated by default when compiling with debug
36 info and optimization. Location lists provide more accurate debug info
37 about locations of variables and they allow debugging code compiled with
38 -fomit-frame-pointer."
39
40 Of course gcc4 isn't even ~x86 yet... ;)
43 With regards,
44 Mart Raudsepp
45
46 Project manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sourceforge.net/