From: Gordon Malm <gengor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer Retirements
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:56:25
1 On Monday, March 9, 2009 11:44:55 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > I'm wondering what exactly is the harm in letting developers idle for a
3 > while? While they might not be actively committing they are still
4 > knowledgeable people that are just as capable as everyone else to push in a
5 > fix for small packages. There's lots of bugs in bugzilla with items that
6 > just need someone active to commit them. There's even a lot of these items
7 > are filed by retired Gentoo developers who could have easily pushed this
8 > fix for all users. The fact that someone only does one commit a year does
9 > not marginalize their contribution. While it may be small it is improving
10 > the overall quality of the distro. I'm constantly seeing developers getting
11 > upset over getting pushed out.
12 >
13 > What we really need is not a smaller, leaner development force. But a
14 > leadership team that's smaller and more effective and willing to take
15 > charge to get something done. I'm hoping that we can get away from the 6
16 > month GLEP process and towards something more streamlined.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Doug Goldstein
22 It is possible that maybe we've been too forceful in retiring people who still
23 wish to contribute. Sometimes it appears that way from the outside. But as
24 I am not on that team, I don't really know and therefore will not attempt to
25 pass judgement on their processes. From what I have seen and understand they
26 do try to make contact multiple times to understand the situation before
27 retiring anyone.
28
29 There is an important security aspect to retiring folks - commit abilities.
30 Perhaps in the case a dev wants to contribute but cannot in the near future
31 their commit privs can just be revoked until such time they ask for them to
32 be turned back on? I guess that would be an 'extended devaway' ?
33
34 Gordon Malm (gengor)