From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage suggestion
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:46:09
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:03:32 +0000
3 James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu> wrote:
6 > > Here's the point, we can easly remove the dependency on esd, and if
7 > > the code works, okay. However, then you have an untracked
8 > > dependency when esd -is- installed but set as USE="-esd" , as it
9 > > will be needed, but not listed as such.
13 > Sure. I'm implicitly assuming that the --without-esd ./configure
14 > switch does the right thing, which obviously needs to be tested. But
15 > it's a pretty simple test.
16 >
17 > That's what you were referring to, right?
18
19 No, if that isn't used its a simple thing to add a USE flag. The issue
20 is with things that go...
21 "do I have alsa? no... not building alsa interface"
22 "do I have esound? no .. not building esound interface"
25 without a choice to -disable (or enable) such things, when you can state
26 USE="-*" and then still get everything included, no dependencies tracked
27 and a hosed system when you finally try to live without alsa+esound.
28
29 too many builds use auto* functions like that, and no. "dynamic
30 dependencies" isn't a solution here either. Metal hacking configure.*
31 is however one.
34 //Spider
37 begin .signature
38 Tortured users / Laughing in pain