From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:55:14
1 On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 09:08 +0100, Marcel Schilling wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 11:31:32PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > What I'm really missing in all the replies is a single reason why
4 > > LibreSSL would be better for anyone. Not 'it's an alternative', not
5 > > 'I don't trust' but a real proper, verifiable argument 'LibreSSL is
6 > > better in this regard'.
7 >
8 > I guess that is due the fact that you dismiss arguments that are valid
9 > reasons for others (incl. me) but apparently not sufficient for you,
10 > like my situation where 'It works on all my systems, and switching would
11 > mean work for me and at least a risk of downtimes'.
12
13 I don't dismiss that. If I had, I wouldn't be bothering with the whole
14 discussion and just kill it. I just draw a different conclusion than
15 you do.
16
17 Having systems that do work with LibreSSL today doesn't guarantee
18 the same for the foreseeable future. If anything, I prefer to ask
19 the existing users to perform a conscious migration today, than wait
20 till things become really unusable and more users are forced to migrate
21 their systems without realizing the risks.
22
23 It's all nice to say that LibreSSL will be usable in the near future
24 but that's just plain lying. We're between LibreSSL upstream that
25 explicitly rejects any idea of interoperability with OpenSSL, and other
26 upstreams that plain reject the idea of bending their software to work
27 with LibreSSL.
28
29 I'm sorry to say but in my opinion LibreSSL's team attitude is to blame
30 in the first place here. If someone forks something, deliberately
31 breaks compatibility and then tries everyone to use his work, what else
32 would you expect to happen?
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny