From: Marcel Schilling <marcel.schilling@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:08:56
1 On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 11:31:32PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > What I'm really missing in all the replies is a single reason why
3 > LibreSSL would be better for anyone. Not 'it's an alternative', not
4 > 'I don't trust' but a real proper, verifiable argument 'LibreSSL is
5 > better in this regard'.
6
7 I guess that is due the fact that you dismiss arguments that are valid
8 reasons for others (incl. me) but apparently not sufficient for you,
9 like my situation where 'It works on all my systems, and switching would
10 mean work for me and at least a risk of downtimes'.
11 I understand that if security of OpenSSL is much better than LibreSSL (I
12 have also not seen 'proof' of this, just 'more users mean better
13 security per se', so I guess I should switch from Gentoo to Ubuntu for
14 my desktops and CentOS for my servers if I care about security), I
15 should switch back, but for me, not having to touch working systems is a
16 valid reason to keep the system around.
17 Since I can't contribute the work needed to keep it around, I'll have to
18 live with the consequences of whatever the devs decide. And I will. Just
19 don't expect me to pretend like you are doing me a favour. ;-)
20
21 Best,
22 Marcel