From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: djc@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New categories: mate-base and mate-extra
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:08:50
1 On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:16:11 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > Currently, the MATE overlay has 14 meta-base packages and 16
7 > > mate-extra packages; this might slightly change when reconsidering
8 > > if their location is alright, however it is near the average (~15)
9 > > per category so that should be fit.
10
11 TL;DR: My avg was wrong, it is larger (110); but low (51) on *-base.
12
13 The average there was based on what I historically saw mentioned in
14 another new category thread, our categories seem to have grown since; I
15 didn't actually check it, but running the following command to check
16 out the actual average it seems that it is higher at ~110 packages.
17
18 `for d in $(find /usr/portage/ -maxdepth 1 -type d | grep -) ; do ls -1
19 ${d} | wc -l ; done | awk '{sum+=$1}END{print sum/NR}'`
20
21 If we however do this on the -base packages (grep -- -base), we get ~51
22 packages as being the average; gnome-base for example has 41 packages.
23
24 > That seems a little on the small side? Can we just do a single
25 > category for all of it, instead? People can go bikeshed on the name.
26
27 TL;DR: Yes, we could try that; but what would be a consistent name?
28
29 Given these more correct statistics, that indeed seems rather small;
30 combining them, we indeed would get closer to a reasonable size for a
31 category. But its naming becomes way more tricky then.
32
33 The first thing that comes to mind is dropping the suffix; but then we
34 end up with just 'mate' which is inconsistent with how we name the rest.
35
36 Since introducing a suffix after 'mate' when grouping all packages
37 doesn't really make much sense, it might make more sense to make '-mate'
38 the suffix. But enumerating existing prefixes, I see none that makes
39 sense; see for yourself: app-mate, dev-mate, games-mate, gnome-mate,
40 gnustep-mate, gpe-mate, java-mate, kde-mate, lxde-mate, mail-mate,
41 media-mate, net-mate, perl-mate, razorqt-mate, rox-mate, sci-mate,
42 sec-mate, sys-mate, www-mate, x11-mate, xfce-mate
43
44 So, this makes me question why to go for an inconsistent naming; and if
45 we keep 'mate-base' then it feels wrong to move 'mate-extra' stuff in
46 there, so, I really wonder if the amount of packages matters that much.
47 Especially since I count at least 27 categories that are <= 20 pkgs:
48
49 `for d in $(find /usr/portage/ -maxdepth 1 -type d | grep -) ; do if
50 [[ $(ls -1 ${d} | wc -l) -le 20 ]] ; then echo ${d} ; fi ; done | wc -l`
51
52 Doing this again we see 43 categories that are <= 30 pkgs, that's like
53 a quarter of the Portage tree; it's representative to show that this is
54 uncommon, but not necessarily an actual exception.
55
56 It's indeed a recipe for bikeshedding; but I want to avoid this from
57 falling under a situation where there's no actual decision no which way
58 we proceed.
59
60 As I see it going forward:
61
62 - If we agree on a consistent name for a single category, we pick that.
63
64 - If we don't agree on a name for a single category, we see whether
65 we want to agree on just having two categories to be consistent.
66
67 - If we neither agree on the naming or two categories, I see myself
68 forced to insert MATE packages across other existing categories; but
69 I don't think people would be happy with that either.
70
71 Thank you in advance for further input on this.
74 With kind regards,
75
76 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
77 Gentoo Developer
78
79 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
80 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
81 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D