From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:07:16
1 On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 20:11:04 -0600
2 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I forgot most files were mirrored. So the infrastructure that is the
5 > answer to my question is already in place. Consequently, I don't think
6 > there's any reason to argue against this, unless it ultimately ends up
7 > being a ton of work to package small files (which I can't comment on).
8
9 Biggest downsides I see of pushing patches to distfiles mirrors is it
10 greatly desynchronizes the state of tree, similar to how you'd get
11 desynchronization if parts of gentoo.git were sharded into different
12 repositories.
13
14 Comprehending changes made downstream require additional steps and
15 additional tooling.
16
17 Correlating patch changes against ebuild changes is even more effort.
18
19 The only upside is it makes it slightly harder to abuse patch-reuse and
20 have unintentional retroactive patching to existing ebuilds without -r
21 bumps.
22
23 But ... that's a double edged sword if that sort of thing is
24 occasionally useful and sane.
25
26 I don't know what the solution is here, but I don't think either
27 strategies of "discourage it" or "encourage it" are the ultimate way
28 forward.
29
30 Some other strategy must exist. But for now, sensible limits are an
31 acceptable compromise.