From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Getting proper USE_EXPAND variable(s) for multilib
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:11:05
1 Hello,
2
3 There is a fair interest in multilib and while still early, it would be
4 a good moment to decide on how USE flags to use for it.
5
6 The current attempts are mostly using USE=multilib which is not really
7 expressive and poor. What I would go for is a clear variable specifying
8 which targets package is built for.
11 This raises the following questions:
12
13 1) do we want the default ABI to be switchable?
14
15 2) do we want irrelevant ABIs to be visible to emerge users?
16
17 By 2) I mean: do we want the users to see stuff like:
18
19 MULTILIB_ABIS="amd64_abi1 amd64_abi2 -amd64_abi3 (-ppc64_abi1)
20 (-ppc64_abi2) (-ppc64_abi3) ..."
21
22 or just the relevant part.
23
24 To be honest, I don't know if there's other way to hide USE flags than
25 using USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN. If we want to use that, we'd have to split
26 the flags per-arch, i.e. have:
27
28 MULTILIB_AMD64="abi1 abi2 abi3"
29 MULTILIB_PPC64="abi1 abi2 abi3"
30
31 with appropriate USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN set by profiles.
34 What are your thoughts? Which arches would like to use multilib? What
35 names for ABIs do you suggest?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny