From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting proper USE_EXPAND variable(s) for multilib
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:27:45
1 On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:11:31 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > There is a fair interest in multilib and while still early, it would
7 > be a good moment to decide on how USE flags to use for it.
8 >
9 > The current attempts are mostly using USE=multilib which is not really
10 > expressive and poor. What I would go for is a clear variable
11 > specifying which targets package is built for.
14 > This raises the following questions:
15 >
16 > 1) do we want the default ABI to be switchable?
17
18 I'd say no but I do not see any real problem with it.
19
20 > 2) do we want irrelevant ABIs to be visible to emerge users?
21 >
22 > By 2) I mean: do we want the users to see stuff like:
23 >
24 > MULTILIB_ABIS="amd64_abi1 amd64_abi2 -amd64_abi3 (-ppc64_abi1)
25 > (-ppc64_abi2) (-ppc64_abi3) ..."
26 >
27 > or just the relevant part.
30 just the relevant part, you'd probably need PM support here but showing
31 it all doesn't hurt, it's just less convenient.
34 > To be honest, I don't know if there's other way to hide USE flags than
35 > using USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN. If we want to use that, we'd have to split
36 > the flags per-arch, i.e. have:
37 >
38 > MULTILIB_AMD64="abi1 abi2 abi3"
39 > MULTILIB_PPC64="abi1 abi2 abi3"
40 >
41 > with appropriate USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN set by profiles.
42
43 I don't like that at all.
44 I'd go for ABI= the union of all the MULTILIB_ABIS variables (if there
45 is no name collision)
46 we certainly want skype to depend on libitneeds[abi_x86], not 'amd64?
47 ( libitneeds[abi_amd64_x86] ) x86? ( libitneeds )'
50 Alexis.