From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:25:29
1 On 8/23/2021 12:24, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2021-08-23 at 16:36 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Anthony G Basile wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> **WARNING**
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> If you happen to have an INSTALL_MASK with a blanket "*systemd*"
8 >>>>> glob, you will inevitably break your system. sys-fs/udev
9 >>>>> contains
10 >>>>> "systemd" in some of its filenames, hence a blanket filter rule
11 >>>>> will
12 >>>>> likely lead to a non-functional udev installation.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Will an INSTALL_MASK of "/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd" cause any
15 >>>> issues?
16 >>
17 >>> I have not tested, but I think so since "systemd-" is used as a
18 >>> prefix
19 >>> for files installed by sys-fs/udev.
20 >>
21 >> So, we've abandoned the systemd USE flag, and I remember that one of
22 >> the arguments was that users could use INSTALL_MASK for precisely the
23 >> above mentioned directories.
24 >>
25 >> Now the message is that users' systems will be broken if they had
26 >> followed our previous advice? Seriously?
27 >
28 > I'm pretty sure we've never officially advised anyone to remove
29 > important directories via INSTALL_MASK. INSTALL_MASK on unit
30 > directories will not affect udev users. On the other hand, if someone
31 > was overzealous and stripped whole /lib/systemd... no compassion from
32 > me, sorry.
33
34 Digging around, I am pretty sure I picked up the INSTALL_MASK tip from
35 something we put out. Only current info I can find so far is on the Wiki:
36
37 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd#systemd_unit_files
38
39 History on that page goes back to 2014, but the first mention of
40 INSTALL_MASK looks to have been added by the edit on 22 Sep 2018 @ 19:05:
41 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Gentoo_Without_systemd&oldid=735246
42
43 However, I know I've had the INSTALL_MASK lines on several of my machines
44 for a few years before that. In any case, looking into my mail archives, it
45 appears this bike shed has been painted over a few times before:
46
47 2012: "Global Systemd USE Flag"
48 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/5ca98a9af71db715fa68632ec1335755
49
50 2014: "Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?"
51 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/c20d9ada8e05dc1707f021ff01d28802
52
53 Seems like the sane option is to just drop the INSTALL_MASK and deal with a
54 gaggle of systemd unit files eating up some inode space. I obviously took
55 umbrage once upon a time, but I guess the older you get, the less you care.
58 Joshua Kinard
59 Gentoo/MIPS
60 kumba@g.o
61 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
62 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
63
64 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
65 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
66
67 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic