From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:24:39
1 On Mon, 2021-08-23 at 16:36 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Anthony G Basile wrote:
3 >
4 > > > > **WARNING**
5 > > > >
6 > > > > If you happen to have an INSTALL_MASK with a blanket "*systemd*"
7 > > > > glob, you will inevitably break your system. sys-fs/udev
8 > > > > contains
9 > > > > "systemd" in some of its filenames, hence a blanket filter rule
10 > > > > will
11 > > > > likely lead to a non-functional udev installation.
12 > > >
13 > > > Will an INSTALL_MASK of "/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd" cause any
14 > > > issues?
15 >
16 > > I have not tested, but I think so since "systemd-" is used as a
17 > > prefix
18 > > for files installed by sys-fs/udev.
19 >
20 > So, we've abandoned the systemd USE flag, and I remember that one of
21 > the arguments was that users could use INSTALL_MASK for precisely the
22 > above mentioned directories.
23 >
24 > Now the message is that users' systems will be broken if they had
25 > followed our previous advice? Seriously?
26
27 I'm pretty sure we've never officially advised anyone to remove
28 important directories via INSTALL_MASK. INSTALL_MASK on unit
29 directories will not affect udev users. On the other hand, if someone
30 was overzealous and stripped whole /lib/systemd... no compassion from
31 me, sorry.
32
33 We don't go out of way to support people using USE=-* either, yet that
34 is certainly *less stupid* than stripping arbitrary directory trees.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny