From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:37:01
1 >>>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Anthony G Basile wrote:
2
3 >>> **WARNING**
4 >>>
5 >>> If you happen to have an INSTALL_MASK with a blanket "*systemd*"
6 >>> glob, you will inevitably break your system. sys-fs/udev contains
7 >>> "systemd" in some of its filenames, hence a blanket filter rule will
8 >>> likely lead to a non-functional udev installation.
9 >>
10 >> Will an INSTALL_MASK of "/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd" cause any
11 >> issues?
12
13 > I have not tested, but I think so since "systemd-" is used as a prefix
14 > for files installed by sys-fs/udev.
15
16 So, we've abandoned the systemd USE flag, and I remember that one of
17 the arguments was that users could use INSTALL_MASK for precisely the
18 above mentioned directories.
19
20 Now the message is that users' systems will be broken if they had
21 followed our previous advice? Seriously?
22
23 Ulrich