From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:41:28
1 On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 at 18:24, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm pretty sure we've never officially advised anyone to remove
3 > important directories via INSTALL_MASK. INSTALL_MASK on unit
4 > directories will not affect udev users. On the other hand, if someone
5 > was overzealous and stripped whole /lib/systemd... no compassion from
6 > me, sorry.
7 >
8 > We don't go out of way to support people using USE=-* either, yet that
9 > is certainly *less stupid* than stripping arbitrary directory trees.
10
11 This doesn't seem like arbitrary directories at all, but rather very
12 targeted at specific systemd locations. It is not clear which, if any,
13 of the mentioned locations are needed by udev.
14
15 I have found one of my machines which was created not that many years
16 ago have an even more overzealous mask, which was probably arrived at
17 by reading some forum thread.
18
19 INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd /lib/systemd
20 /usr/lib/modules-load.d"
21
22 Someone mentioned /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd earlier, is this a binary
23 that is needed?
24
25 Cheers,
26 Arve