From: Yuri Gagarin <zthg4821@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:46:16
1 On 10/2/07, Alex Tarkovsky <alextarkovsky@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10/2/07, Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> wrote:
3 > > > I accept the argument for initscripts, since an embedded system is not
4 > > > likely to have bash. But for compile-time (which shouldn't happen on an
5 > > > embedded target) there simply isn't any real benefit to end-users that I
6 > > > can see.
7 > >
8 > > The benefit is that our portage tree uses an accepted standardised
9 > > syntax. bash is just a standard to itself.
10 >
11 > How many Gentoo devs are familiar with Bash syntax? All of them.
12 >
13 > How many are familiar with the more obscure POSIX sh syntax? A few.
14 >
15 > Migrating Gentoo's init scripts, eclasses, and ebuilds -- though not
16 > necessarily all of them -- over to POSIX sh syntax requires all Gentoo
17 > devs to know the rules of sh just to be able to continue contributing
18 > to Gentoo without breaking stuff. This will also put off more casual
19 > contributors who work through proxy maintainerships, Sunrise, and
20 > Bugzilla.
21 >
22 > Then you'll need to ensure that all official documentation accomodates
23 > sh syntax, including the ebuild quiz. (And what about the poor folks
24 > at the Gentoo wiki?)
25 >
26 > Add these concerns to the technical objections already raised, and the
27 > touted benefits of your proposal are overwhelmed by the amount of work
28 > it would create and the disruption it will cause to Gentoo
29 > development.
30
31 And the pain it'll cause users who maintain their own ebuilds/scripts
32 locally. But if no consideration is given by Roy's proposal to the
33 concerns above, then the users, per usual, will most certainly be
34 overlooked.
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list