From: Alex Tarkovsky <alextarkovsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:00:35
1 On 10/2/07, Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> wrote:
2 > > I accept the argument for initscripts, since an embedded system is not
3 > > likely to have bash. But for compile-time (which shouldn't happen on an
4 > > embedded target) there simply isn't any real benefit to end-users that I
5 > > can see.
6 >
7 > The benefit is that our portage tree uses an accepted standardised
8 > syntax. bash is just a standard to itself.
9
10 How many Gentoo devs are familiar with Bash syntax? All of them.
11
12 How many are familiar with the more obscure POSIX sh syntax? A few.
13
14 Migrating Gentoo's init scripts, eclasses, and ebuilds -- though not
15 necessarily all of them -- over to POSIX sh syntax requires all Gentoo
16 devs to know the rules of sh just to be able to continue contributing
17 to Gentoo without breaking stuff. This will also put off more casual
18 contributors who work through proxy maintainerships, Sunrise, and
19 Bugzilla.
20
21 Then you'll need to ensure that all official documentation accomodates
22 sh syntax, including the ebuild quiz. (And what about the poor folks
23 at the Gentoo wiki?)
24
25 Add these concerns to the technical objections already raised, and the
26 touted benefits of your proposal are overwhelmed by the amount of work
27 it would create and the disruption it will cause to Gentoo
28 development.
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list