From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:30:28
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 13:36 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > ++ There's just too much nice stuff in BASH to drop down to sh to my mind. I
3 > for one would go right off Gentoo if i were forced to write ebuilds in sh.
4
5 I had this chat with Donnie last night and he pulled the molden ebuild
6 of the top of his head.
7
8 Attached is a patch to make it posix sh. Infact, most ebuilds themselves
9 would be that trivial.
10
11 So what's the "nice stuff" that's in use? Got any ebuild examples?
12
13 > I accept the argument for initscripts, since an embedded system is not
14 > likely to have bash. But for compile-time (which shouldn't happen on an
15 > embedded target) there simply isn't any real benefit to end-users that I
16 > can see.
17
18 The benefit is that our portage tree uses an accepted standardised
19 syntax. bash is just a standard to itself.
20
21 Thanks
22
23 Roy