From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:05:58
1 On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:43 am, Fredrik Jagenheim wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:57:14PM +0200, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
3 > > Well for some ppl now that someone tried to push the GNU/ part onto
4 > > Gentoo it's this kind of "no, not after this" feeling :) This doesn't
5 > > bring us anywhere it's not the users decision anyway.
6 >
7 > Oh, but let's make it a users decision. I propose a new flag in USE
8 > that will let the user name the system 'GNU/Linux' or 'Linux' or
9 > 'Gentoo GNU/Linux, the best dist for politically correct power users'.
10 >
11 > Now, let's flame over what the default should be. ;)
12
13 heh!
14
15 Well, if we were to dual name the distro
16
17 Gentoo GNU/Linux
18 and
19 Gentoo Linux
20
21 the the default is whatever the individual user happens to use (probably the
22 latter, since that is the habit most of us are in). We could even code up a
23 little random number generator that chooses one or the other randomly, or
24 displays both but chooses the order randomly, etc. :-)
25
26 My interest in this isn't what the offical name(s) end up being ... just to
27 see the conflict go away as best it can.
28
29 Jean.