From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI feature suggestion: OBSOLETES (was: gentoo-x86 commit in profiles/updates: 4Q-2007)
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:10:46
1 Jim Ramsay wrote:
2
3 > Whether or not 'move' was the correct action in the recent compiz
4 > example, perhaps we need to consider that some times one package does
5 > actually make another obsolete. The correct thing for the PM to
6 > do is to first uninstall the obsolete package, then install the new one.
7 >
8 I don't think it was, for the reasons stated on the bug, and based on what
9 Mr Mauch has just said.
10
11 > Now, it has been my experience that blocking dependencies are currently
12 > used to imply this "No, you have to remove cat/foo first before
13 > installing cat/bar instead" situation. This is somewhat annoying for
14 > me when I want to upgrade a bunch of packages, but I have to manually
15 > uninstall a few blockers first before this is possible.
16 >
17 You can use a script to automate that [1] so it's just a question of
18 pressing any key to unmerge (depending on the block; it might not actually
19 apply by the time you come to the blocked app.)
20
21 > This could be automated by the PM in those cases with some sort of
22 > thing like this in the cat/bar-1.0.ebuild:
23 >
24 > OBSOLETES="cat/foo"
25 >
26 > Of course this would be a regular package atom (or list thereof), so it
27 > could be tied to specific versions of cat/foo.
28 >
29 I really like that idea. (A RECOMMENDS thing similar to debian would be nice
30 too.)
31
32 > I suppose this could be seen as a special case of blocking deps which
33 > would automate a specific "cat/bar is to be preferred over cat/foo"
34 >
35 > However, I'm not exactly sure what you would do if you have pkg1 which
36 > depends on cat/foo and pkg2 which depends on cat/bar...
37 >
38 That kinda sounds like the same issue genone was raising; since the
39 difference upstream is tied to a version, whereas the Gentoo package names
40 apply to all versions there can be no guarantee of compatibility. Maybe you
41 could get round this by only using versioned deps. (So a package move
42 script would have to ensure nothing had an unversioned dep on either
43 package.)
44
45 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html
46 New, improved-- shiny! ;D