From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EAPI feature suggestion: OBSOLETES (was: gentoo-x86 commit in profiles/updates: 4Q-2007)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:29:37
1 Whether or not 'move' was the correct action in the recent compiz
2 example, perhaps we need to consider that some times one package does
3 actually make another obsolete. The correct thing for the PM to
4 do is to first uninstall the obsolete package, then install the new one.
5
6 Now, it has been my experience that blocking dependencies are currently
7 used to imply this "No, you have to remove cat/foo first before
8 installing cat/bar instead" situation. This is somewhat annoying for
9 me when I want to upgrade a bunch of packages, but I have to manually
10 uninstall a few blockers first before this is possible.
11
12 This could be automated by the PM in those cases with some sort of
13 thing like this in the cat/bar-1.0.ebuild:
14
15 OBSOLETES="cat/foo"
16
17 Of course this would be a regular package atom (or list thereof), so it
18 could be tied to specific versions of cat/foo.
19
20 I suppose this could be seen as a special case of blocking deps which
21 would automate a specific "cat/bar is to be preferred over cat/foo"
22
23 However, I'm not exactly sure what you would do if you have pkg1 which
24 depends on cat/foo and pkg2 which depends on cat/bar...
27 Jim Ramsay
28 Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm)