From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI feature suggestion: OBSOLETES (was: gentoo-x86 commit in profiles/updates: 4Q-2007)
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:53:15
1 On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:23:35 -0500
2 Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Whether or not 'move' was the correct action in the recent compiz
5 > example, perhaps we need to consider that some times one package does
6 > actually make another obsolete. The correct thing for the PM to
7 > do is to first uninstall the obsolete package, then install the new
8 > one.
9
10 >snip<
11
12 I don't see anything in your suggestion that requires an EAPI bump to
13 implement this. If the only thing you add to your ebuilds is the
14 OBSOLETES variable, then a PM which doesn't recognise the enhancement
15 will simply ignore it. In other words, OBSOLETE would not obsolete
16 the proper negative DEPENDs (blockers) that are currently used.
17
18 If you want to, say, make switching sysloggers easier by
19 offering to uninstall metalog when the admin asks to emerge syslog-ng,
20 then an EAPI bump would be warranted (and the proposal should be
21 thought through a lot more thoroughly, because as of now, emerging
22 one package and unmerging another are strictly separate actions and
23 that should perhaps never change).
26 Kind regards,
27 JeR
28 --