From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:58:38
1 Hi,
2
3 I think this has been discussed already [1] but in the end never was
4 applied or even finished discussing. So I'd like to revive the topic
5 and apply the necessary changes in a few days if nobody objects
6 strongly.
7
8 Rationale: we have a growing number of CPU-corresponding flags that all
9 are fit as global USE flags by definition and are usually set once
10 by user. As far as I'm aware, CPUs don't grow new instruction sets once
11 installed, so in most of the cases user doesn't need to be concerned by
12 additional cryptic flag names once he set up his CPU.
13
14 Solution: per-arch USE_EXPANDs for flags, e.g.:
15
16 CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext avx ..."
17 CPU_FLAGS_ARM="neon ..." # arm* flags?
18 CPU_FLAGS_MIPS="..." # mips* flags?
19
20 Any specific comments? I can handle x86 but I'd appreciate specific
21 arch teams replying about more exotic arches.
22
23 [1]:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/69141
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny