From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Intent to help with #gentoo-dev voicing issues
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:24:42
1 On Tuesday 14 June 2005 23:02, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:05:21 +0900
3 >
4 > Chris White <chriswhite@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > >>might I suggest not kicking #gentoo-dev visitors who ask for
6 > > > >>voice to speak to the devs without a 'rtfm & go get a gentoo job'
7 > > > >>smokescreen ?
8 > >
9 > > My intentions in this email were regarding the above worries about
10 > > things. I plan to create somewhat of a consistant contact point
11 > > between irc users that want a voice in dev. If anyone has
12 > > disagreements, I'll be happy to hear them out and hopefully address
13 > > them. My plan of interaction is as follows:
14 >
15 > [snip]
16 >
17 > Won't work. First it would introduce a single point of failure. If we'd
18 > really follow this route there has to be a role for this, not a user.
19 > Then how are people supposed to know about this in teh first place? I
20 > wouldn't expect that users with a question/topic for -dev have read the
21 > dev handbook. Often that is spontaneous, which brings me to my next
22 > point: email definitely won't work for this, I mean if someone writes
23 > an email they can just as well ask their question on the gentoo-dev
24 > list directly.
25 > And finally: I really don't like the idea of telling people "ask Chris
26 > for voice, other devs might not behave nice", if there really is a
27 > problem this will just sidestep it, not solve it.
28
29 Why not create a "voicebot" that would sit in the irc channel (the subject
30 would refer to it), that developers could send a message to, and that
31 would automatically be forwarded to a team of developers. If the bot
32 would forward the communication to all members and the requestor double
33 action is avoided, and users know where to go to get voice. The voicebot
34 automatically maintains the list of active voice team members. It could
35 even be made to block users that should not be allowed to bother the team
36 (for example because they seriously misbehave themselves).
37
38 Paul
41 Paul de Vrieze
42 Gentoo Developer