From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Transitioning from #!/sbin/runscript to,#!/sbin/openrc-run
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 08:23:05
1 On 05/05/16 08:53, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 >
3 > This ignores the externalized cost for potentially thousands of users
4 > that have to fix stuff because it was actively broken.
5 >
6 To quote an old proverb .. "you can't make an omelette without breaking
7 eggs" .. if you wish me to explain, I'll do it privately ;)
10 I don't think anyone (gentoo-wide) is out to make users life difficult,
11 or make significant work for the precious few package maintainers there
12 are. There will always be a certain amount of 'change for change's sake'
13 and whilst there may not always be a direct benefit, there are often
14 desirable side-effects. I'm not saying this is necessarily a case in
15 point, though.
16
17 I hear the arguments that we are upholding upstream's progression, and I
18 think that remains one of Gentoo's overriding goals. Sure if its really
19 a problem for you, fork openrc, maintain it or leave it to bit-rot if
20 you really think that 'runscript' is the only way to start services.
21 We/I can't get inside the maintainers head (and wouldn't wish to .. mine
22 is spaghetti enough already, tyvm!) but rest assured I don't think this
23 is a debian/fedora/systemd/<insert-your-personal-distaste-here> issue,
24 and I think we should just let them get on with it, and be grateful we
25 have been warned, and this isn't an epic surprise that will generate a
26 whole stack of reverts down-the-line where someone hasn't done a
27 reasonable impact assessment of their change...
28
29 ok, that's $2 now .. I'll shut up .. I got Real Work to do too ...