From: Brandon Low <lostlogic@g.o>
To: Seth Mos <knuffie@××××××.nl>
Cc: John Newman <jnn@××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-sources-r9 kernel sources vs. XFS patch
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:07:37
1 > XFS is already merged in since 2.5.36. The integration with the 2.4 tree is
2 > a ongoing project. It might be integrated into 2.4 in the future when
3 > marcelo thinks the time is right.
4 >
5 It isn't a matter of Marcelo feeling that the time is right, it is a
6 matter of someone taking the time (as was done for 2.5) to simplify the
7 patch and get rid of the extraneous s**t that it messes with outside of
8 what a filesystem should. I think I posted elsewhere about this, but
9 merging JFS into 2.4 involved about a 2000 line patch to kernel core
10 code, XFS's patch is closer to 40000 lines. Normally, adding a filesystem
11 to a kernel tree is not a big deal, but as you might guess getting a
12 massive 40,000 line hunk of code past Marcelo is NOT going to happen. The
13 XFS people (or some other kind soul, as I mentioned) need to 1) start
14 feeding good bits of the XFS patch to Marcelo and 2) start synching it up
15 with his tree so that JUST the filesystem can be merged w/o all the random
16 other stuff they touch.
17
18 Blah, that is badly written, but whatever, I just woke up.
19
20 --Brandon