From: Seth Mos <knuffie@××××××.nl>
To: Brandon Low <lostlogic@g.o>
Cc: John Newman <jnn@××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-sources-r9 kernel sources vs. XFS patch
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:52:18
1 At 13:07 25-10-2002 -0500, Brandon Low wrote:
2 > > XFS is already merged in since 2.5.36. The integration with the 2.4
3 > tree is
4 > > a ongoing project. It might be integrated into 2.4 in the future when
5 > > marcelo thinks the time is right.
6 > >
7 >It isn't a matter of Marcelo feeling that the time is right, it is a
8 >matter of someone taking the time (as was done for 2.5) to simplify the
9 >patch and get rid of the extraneous s**t that it messes with outside of
10 >what a filesystem should.
11
12 That's what the split patches are for. They are respun every once in a while.
13 Merging a complete XFS patch from CVS into a vanilla tree is not a smart
14 idea since it also contains KDB for example.
15 The split patches are divided into the fs, dmapi, acl, kdb and extended
16 attributes.
17
18 You don't need to merge them all. The current XFS in 2.5 has the only the
19 fs layer. For all the extras it's a smarter idea to check out the 2.5 cvs
20 tree. Dmapi needs more work and be more general so it can/might be used on
21 ext2/3 before they integrate it.
22 Acls are still in progress bit will end up there eventually.
23
24 > I think I posted elsewhere about this, but
25 >merging JFS into 2.4 involved about a 2000 line patch to kernel core
26 >code, XFS's patch is closer to 40000 lines. Normally, adding a filesystem
27 >to a kernel tree is not a big deal, but as you might guess getting a
28 >massive 40,000 line hunk of code past Marcelo is NOT going to happen. The
29 >XFS people (or some other kind soul, as I mentioned) need to 1) start
30 >feeding good bits of the XFS patch to Marcelo and 2) start synching it up
31 >with his tree so that JUST the filesystem can be merged w/o all the random
32 >other stuff they touch.
33
34 Christoph Hellwig was the man who is submitting lot's of cleaned up stuff
35 to Linus which made it into 2.5.36.
36 The main focus at the moment is bug fixing and cleaning up in general. Both
37 in 2.5 as well as in the 2.4 tree.
38
39 Don't worry well get there eventually.
40 The reason for the slow integration with 2.4 is because a lot of the
41 interfaces that XFS used were only available in 2.5 or were made as a stand
42 alone function inside XFS. The 2.5 code doesn't touch nearly as much as the
43 2.4 code does.
44
45 >Blah, that is badly written, but whatever, I just woke up.
46
47 :-)
48
49 Cheers
50 --
51 Seth
52 It might just be your lucky day, if you only knew.