From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Rainer Groesslinger <scandium@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing the size of distfiles for our mirrors
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:06:37
1 On Tuesday 22 July 2003 2:24 pm, Rainer Groesslinger wrote:
2 > Perhaps you already thought about this but IMHO part of that policy should
3 > be that files which are stored on a network with a good mirroring
4 > infrastructure (sourceforge, kernel.org etc.) are never placed on our
5 > distfiles because it is very unlikely all 10 mirrors (or how many
6 > sourceforge ever has) are down and since the gentoo distfile mirrors are
7 > used before the
8 > mirror://sourceforge in the ebuild it causes more traffic to the mirrors
9 > (plus the space it takes) because nobody really gets it from sourceforge...
10 >
11 > I think we could save a lot of bandwidth _and_ space if such files aren't
12 > placed on the gentoo mirrors if not absolutly neccessary, I don't see a
13 > real reason why we need to put hundreds of files on the gentoo mirrors
14 > which are already stored on a very good mirroring system.
15
16 I've just thought of a problem with this. Not necessarily about Sourceforge
17 (although it needs to be thought about) but one in general.
18
19 If the source code's in our distfiles mirror system, we're immune from any
20 changes / withdrawals made elsewhere. Our ebuilds will continue to work
21 until the package itself breaks, or we choose to replace it.
22
23 But if we're not mirroring the source code, then the ebuild breaks as soon as
24 the source code tarball/rpm/whatever is withdrawn from the author's master
25 site. It shouldn't be a big problem, but it's worth thinking about.
26
27 (Just to clarify - I believe we shouldn't be mirroring commercial packages
28 without very good reason ;-)
29
30 Best regards,
31 Stu
32 --
33 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
34 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
35 Upcoming packages list http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
36
37 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
38 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C