From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] supporting /usr on separate partition
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:04:23
1 Splitting this up since i'm kind of starting two threads here..
2
3 ----- Documentation discussion -----
4 On 16/10/11 02:44 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
5 >
6 > Well, you'll have to define the meaning of "support" in this context. I
7 > simply said that it shouldn't be encouraged, with me reason being that
8 > it tends to add unnecessary complexity (in violation of the KISS
9 > principle [1]).
12 I would agree with this (that it shouldn't be encouraged), but I don't
13 think the Handbook is encouraging it now, as it is written..
16 >> As per the documentation itself, Code Listing 2.1 is i believe an
17 >> example of what is possible, not what we are encouraging users to do.
18 >> That doc seems pretty clear that the default is partitioning scheme is
19 >> the default /boot,/,swap ...
20 >
21 > Why should our main installation docs mention a configuration that the
22 > vast majority of our users (all?) would be better off without?
25 You'd have to talk to the original authors to confirm but I believe this
26 would be to illustrate the possibilities and give users info that will
27 let them think about their partitioning scheme, instead of telling them
28 what to do. Essentially, to introduce and educate about partitions and
29 filesystems.
30
31 (it is the Gentoo Handbook, not the Gentoo Quick Install Howto, after all)
34 > What's the benefit of having /usr on a separate partition anyway?
35
36 I think that's covered rather generically in the guide -- different fs
37 type, won't run out of space on / if /usr fills up, different mount
38 options (ie, mounting ROOT ro and /usr rw); and of course if /usr is on
39 separate physical media (ie, a nice big RAID, while / is on, say, a
40 small SSD).
43 ----- Support/implementation discussion -----
44
45 > ... If people want that, I think it's perfectly
46 > reasonable to expect them to use either an initramfs or a simple linuxrc
47 > approach [2] to ensure that /usr is mounted before init starts.
48
49 ...this would make sense, although in terms of "support" i think it
50 would be appropriate that we would provide this linuxrc wrapper on any
51 init system that needs /usr mounted.