From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] supporting /usr on separate partition
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:24:58
1 On 10/17/2011 09:02 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > Splitting this up since i'm kind of starting two threads here..
3 >
4 > ----- Documentation discussion -----
5 > On 16/10/11 02:44 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Well, you'll have to define the meaning of "support" in this context. I
8 >> simply said that it shouldn't be encouraged, with me reason being that
9 >> it tends to add unnecessary complexity (in violation of the KISS
10 >> principle [1]).
13 > I would agree with this (that it shouldn't be encouraged), but I don't
14 > think the Handbook is encouraging it now, as it is written..
15
16 It depends on how you define "encouraging" in this context. The fact
17 that /usr is shown as a separate partition might be considered
18 "suggestive" if not "encouraging". If a user takes that suggestion
19 without knowing the consequences (special initramfs or linuxrc init
20 wrapper configuration), then then it could cause some disappointment
21 when they finally discover the consequences.
22
23 > ----- Support/implementation discussion -----
24 >
25 >> ... If people want that, I think it's perfectly
26 >> reasonable to expect them to use either an initramfs or a simple linuxrc
27 >> approach [2] to ensure that /usr is mounted before init starts.
28 >
29 > ...this would make sense, although in terms of "support" i think it
30 > would be appropriate that we would provide this linuxrc wrapper on any
31 > init system that needs /usr mounted.
32
33 If someone wants to take on the burden of maintaining an init wrapper
34 like that, then I guess that's fine. However, I wouldn't consider it to
35 be an absolute requirement. I think it would be fine (maybe preferable)
36 to simply provide a doc that describes how to mount /usr via an
37 initramfs or linuxrc init wrapper. Such a doc would only be needed by
38 those users who require that /usr be on a separate partition.
39 --
40 Thanks,
41 Zac