From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 16:05:56
1 On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 06:48:54AM +0000, Steven J. Long wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:31:08PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:47:05PM -0500, Wyatt Epp wrote:
4 > > > But let's be real here: if I install something and
5 > > > want to configure its system-wide bits, the first place I go is ALWAYS
6 > > > /etc. When I don't find it there, with the rest of the system config
7 > > > files, my day gets a little worse and I lose a bit of time trying to
8 > > > interrogate a search engine for the answer. And that's annoying.
9 > > > That sucks.
10 > >
11 > > This hasn't changed.
12 > > The configuration files these packages are putting in /lib are not
13 > > meant to be edited; they are the package provided defaults. If you want
14 > > to override one of them, you do that in a file with the same path and
15 > > name in /etc, like I mentioned in another message in this thread.
16 >
17 > The problem, as has been explained many many times, is that the rest
18 > of the config is somewhere random on the system. But you knew that,
19 > right? You were just telling a half-truth, effectively.
20
21 No sir, I was not telling a half-truth.
22
23 If the default configuration is stored in /lib/udev/rules.d for example,
24 and you can override that default by dropping files of the same name in
25 /etc/udev/rules.d, I don't see what the concern is.
26
27 > I for one prefer a distro to do a bit of work and make my life easier,
28 > since it makes life easier for everyone who uses the distro. Why the
29 > hell should I care if some bindist can't etc-update? WTF does that
30 > have to do with Gentoo?
31
32 With this method, you don't need to etc-update, so I would say that in a
33 way this is easier. Your system-admin-provided files in /etc are not
34 owned by the packages, just the files in /lib are.
35
36 > If I wanted a shitty distro that didn't bother to do anything at
37 > all, I'd use LFS. At least they don't pretend, then fall over themselves
38 > to do a crap load of work rather than admit a mistake; that hey, y'know
39 > what? Some of those things from 30 years ago were a damn good idea,
40 > and maybe just maybe, they worked some of these issues out back then,
41 > so we could stand on their shoulders instead of digging through
42 > their garbage.
43
44 I'm not totally against keeping things from the past. It is just a case
45 of evaluating those things and seeing whether they are still relevant.