From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 18:11:57
1 Le samedi 01 mars 2014 à 10:06 -0600, William Hubbs a écrit :
2 > On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 06:48:54AM +0000, Steven J. Long wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:31:08PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:47:05PM -0500, Wyatt Epp wrote:
5 > > > > But let's be real here: if I install something and
6 > > > > want to configure its system-wide bits, the first place I go is ALWAYS
7 > > > > /etc. When I don't find it there, with the rest of the system config
8 > > > > files, my day gets a little worse and I lose a bit of time trying to
9 > > > > interrogate a search engine for the answer. And that's annoying.
10 > > > > That sucks.
11 > > >
12 > > > This hasn't changed.
13 > > > The configuration files these packages are putting in /lib are not
14 > > > meant to be edited; they are the package provided defaults. If you want
15 > > > to override one of them, you do that in a file with the same path and
16 > > > name in /etc, like I mentioned in another message in this thread.
17 > >
18 > > The problem, as has been explained many many times, is that the rest
19 > > of the config is somewhere random on the system. But you knew that,
20 > > right? You were just telling a half-truth, effectively.
21 >
22 > No sir, I was not telling a half-truth.
23 >
24 > If the default configuration is stored in /lib/udev/rules.d for example,
25 > and you can override that default by dropping files of the same name in
26 > /etc/udev/rules.d, I don't see what the concern is.
27 >
28 > > I for one prefer a distro to do a bit of work and make my life easier,
29 > > since it makes life easier for everyone who uses the distro. Why the
30 > > hell should I care if some bindist can't etc-update? WTF does that
31 > > have to do with Gentoo?
32 >
33 > With this method, you don't need to etc-update, so I would say that in a
34 > way this is easier. Your system-admin-provided files in /etc are not
35 > owned by the packages, just the files in /lib are.
36 >
37 > > If I wanted a shitty distro that didn't bother to do anything at
38 > > all, I'd use LFS. At least they don't pretend, then fall over themselves
39 > > to do a crap load of work rather than admit a mistake; that hey, y'know
40 > > what? Some of those things from 30 years ago were a damn good idea,
41 > > and maybe just maybe, they worked some of these issues out back then,
42 > > so we could stand on their shoulders instead of digging through
43 > > their garbage.
44 >
45 > I'm not totally against keeping things from the past. It is just a case
46 > of evaluating those things and seeing whether they are still relevant.
47
48 I think the biggest issue here is that if the filename changes or the
49 setting that is overridden changes, then end-user or sysadmin is the one
50 that will suffer from settings not being applied and not knowing why.
51
52 This already happened with systemd/udev and net rules for example and I
53 am pretty sure in a couple of other packages but I have no other
54 examples on the top of my head.
55
56 Sure at some point you have to make things evolve but this upstream
57 solution simply isn't nice for its users.
60 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
61 Gentoo