From: Justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blas .pc files (was RFC: new eclass - pkgconfig.eclass)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:46:31
1 On 29.11.2012 21:11, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:09:34 +0100
3 > justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 29/11/12 16:51, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
6 > [...]
7 >>> ..ok remind me again what the .pc files provide you? this is so
8 >>> that you can have slotted blas providers and various packages can
9 >>> choose their preferred one instead of having to use the eselected
10 >>> one? or...
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Not exactly.
14 >> The user can choose for each package newly by eselecting the wanted
15 >> implementation. This is the user side. From the pm side we ensure that
16 >> the choice is really respected by linking against package specific
17 >> names [1] instead of the generic ones e.g. libblas.so. And this can be
18 >> achieved in an easy way by using pkg-config.
19 >>
20 >> justin
21 >>
22 >> 1)
23 >> # eselect blas set atlas-threads
24 >> # pkg-config --libs blas
25 >> -lptf77blas -lm -latlas -lpthread
26 >>
27 >> # eselect blas set reference
28 >> # pkg-config --libs blas
29 >> -lrefblas
32 > This immediately bears the following questions:
33 >
34 > * How do you ensure the linked against implementation doesn't get
35 > depcleaned? revdep-rebuild maybe?
36
37 portage handles this fine.
40 > * How do you let users configure the implementation to be used on a per
41 > package basis? Interrupt an emerge world to set the appropriate
42 > implementation for the next few packages?
45 The Standard user will get reference implementation and has no problem.
46 Setting individual implementation on per package basis needs to be
47 considered as they-know-what-they-are-doing. Otherwise you don't know
48 which implementation to choose .