From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blas .pc files (was RFC: new eclass - pkgconfig.eclass)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:12:36
1 On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:09:34 +0100
2 justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 29/11/12 16:51, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 [...]
6 > > ..ok remind me again what the .pc files provide you? this is so
7 > > that you can have slotted blas providers and various packages can
8 > > choose their preferred one instead of having to use the eselected
9 > > one? or...
12 > Not exactly.
13 > The user can choose for each package newly by eselecting the wanted
14 > implementation. This is the user side. From the pm side we ensure that
15 > the choice is really respected by linking against package specific
16 > names [1] instead of the generic ones e.g. libblas.so. And this can be
17 > achieved in an easy way by using pkg-config.
18 >
19 > justin
20 >
21 > 1)
22 > # eselect blas set atlas-threads
23 > # pkg-config --libs blas
24 > -lptf77blas -lm -latlas -lpthread
25 >
26 > # eselect blas set reference
27 > # pkg-config --libs blas
28 > -lrefblas
31 This immediately bears the following questions:
32
33 * How do you ensure the linked against implementation doesn't get
34 depcleaned? revdep-rebuild maybe?
35
36 * How do you let users configure the implementation to be used on a per
37 package basis? Interrupt an emerge world to set the appropriate
38 implementation for the next few packages?