From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:58:39
1 On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:10:18 +0200 Christian Hartmann <ian@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Oh lovely. - If noone has any strong reasonable objections, I'd like
4 | to add a $ians-playground profile to the tree. Furthermore I will
5 | start to keywording ebuilds with the new ~fridge keyword I just
6 | invented.
7
8 Why yes, because we're asking for people to go around changing all
9 their ebuilds. Oh, wait! We're not! That argument is right up there
10 with saying that the Pope should be removed from office because he
11 personally murdered five million French soldiers in World War II.
12
13 Please try to come up with something sliiightly more plausible than that
14 when you're trying to attack something based upon your personal
15 prejudices. Or is that really the best criticism you can find?
16
17 | > The next question is where to put it. The options as I see them are
18 | > under default-linux/x86/ or in a top-level paludis/ a la hardened,
19 | > selinux, embedded, and the like.
20 |
21 | How is paludis related to gentoo? Hardened and the other things you
22 | mentioned are gentoo projects. - Paludis is not.
23
24 Phony argument. Paludis is a package that's in the tree, and profile
25 changes are regularly made for packages that are in the tree.
26
27 | It's not about the size or the number of files. We have got enough -
28 | let's call it $stuff - in the tree. I'd really like to see valid and
29 | reasonable things added to the tree. - Adding things just because
30 | someone thinks it would be funny to add it to the tree can't be the
31 | way gentoo wants to go.
32
33 If you care about the size of the tree, why not start by nuking a few
34 dozen broken and unmaintained x11-* packages? They're not hard to find,
35 and unlike Paludis they aren't useful to anyone.
36
37 | Looking at the comment left for end-users on the paludis homepage [1]
38 | I'm still wondering why paludis is not package.mask'ed as it's known
39 | to break users systems.
40
41 Unfortunately, that warning has to be there to protect Paludis from
42 rampaging hordes of forums users and the like who otherwise would do
43 something very very dumb. Paludis is less likely to break your system
44 than reiserfs.
47 Ciaran McCreesh
48 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list