From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:29:02
1 Michał Górny posted on Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:15:10 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:51:50 +0800 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5
6 >> When upstream moved the udev sources to the systemd repo, they promised
7 >> that udev would continue to be able to be used separately from systemd.
8 >> We should hold them to that promise.
9 >>
10 >> If they break their promise (as it seems they are bent on doing), then
11 >> we should go ahead with the fork as discussed earlier. I'm sure other
12 >> distros such as Debian and Slackware would be happy to join us in that
13 >> effort.
14 >
15 > If we fork, then I would expect systemd to actually require its own udev
16 > which means that systemd would need to build it anyway. What's the
17 > point?
20 Being able to choose not to run systemd at all? If there's no need to
21 build systemd, than what it requires is irrelevant.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman