From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:20:55
1 On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:34:31 +0000
2 Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Can we put in the GLEP something that acts as a measure of success?
5 > X people participating "regularly" over Y months or something like
6 > that? (and, for the pedantic among us, perhaps define "regularly" as
7 > "at least N posts per week/month/whatever")
8
9 I don't think that this is a good method to assess the success of such a
10 project. Don't you think the success of a planet site can be better
11 measured with webserver stats you guys on -infra get?
12
13 > With some agreed-upon metrics in place, we can revisit the app in Y
14 > months and, if the numbers fall short, pull the plug at that time.
15
16 See above, I don't think defining metrics beforehand will work. If
17 nobody posts interesting stuff there, no one will bother looking, post
18 comments etc. In this case your logs will clearly indicate that the site
19 isn't successfull and can be shut down.
20
21 I guess we all agree that a few quality blogs (whatever that means)
22 which attracts lots of users are better than lots of noise which is just
23 posted to fulfill a quote.
24
25 Regards,
28 Michael Kohl <citizen428@g.o>
29
30 GnuPG key: 0x90CA09E3/4D21 916E DBCE 72B8 CDC5 BD87 DE2D 91A2 90CA 09E3