From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] Chromium access to Google services
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 18:17:55
1 On Mon, 2021-03-08 at 17:36 +0100, Stephan Hartmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > please review the news item inlined below. I would like to publish it
5 > tomorrow.
6 >
7 > ```
8 > Title: Chromium access to Google services
9 > Author: Stephan Hartmann <sultan@g.o>
10 > Content-Type: text/plain
11 > Posted: 2021-03-09
12 > Revision: 1
13 > News-Item-Format: 2.0
14 > Display-If-Installed: www-client/chromium
15 >
16 > Starting March 15th, 2021 Google Chrome Team will restrict access to
17 > Google APIs and services that are reserved for Google use only. This
18 > means that users are no longer able to login into their Google Accounts
19 > which disables access to for example Chrome Sync.
20 >
21 > As a consequence we have to remove Client ID and secret from all
22 > www-client/chromium ebuilds. This change has already been done for
23 > =www-client/chromium-89.0.4389.82. Other versions will be updated
24 > shortly.
25 >
26 > If you need one of the Google use only APIs, then you either have to
27 > switch to www-client/google-chrome{-beta,-unstable} or setup your own
28 > keys [1]. However, the latter is only intended for development.
29
30 It would be nice to explain a bit more what this entitles and how to
31 make it work, or link to a nice guide.
32
33 > [1] https://bit.ly/3bsxX8A
34
35 Please don't make news items depend on third party URL shorteners. This
36 just obfuscates what you're linking here and making them less reliable.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny