From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 22:04:44
1 On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 09:22:49AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2021, A Schenck wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 9/28/21 8:36 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >> [WW] some message
6 > >> [EE] other message
7 > >> [QA] hell if i know what this is
8 > >>
9 > >> I've also added more colors to explicitly distinguish einfo from elog,
10 > >> and ewarn from eqawarn. Then, I've replaced most of '>>>' and '!!!'
11 > >> used by Portage with four-character versions to keep messages aligned.
12 > >> The 'zings' used for merging files remain three-character, so now it's
13 > >> easily possible to distinguish messages from installed file list.
14 >
15 > > Didn't expect to be the only dissenting opinion on something like this
16 > > but. . . Some applications parse portage output looking for these
17 > > 'zings'. At very least app-portage/kuroo does it this way; there must be
18 > > others, right? This is obviously not the ideal way to get information
19 > > out of portage, but it's been stable for the 15 years Kuroo has existed.
20 > > 10-ish years ago dol-sen started some work on building and API for
21 > > portage, but then got sucked into core portage development to the point
22 > > of abandoning their GTK+ portage GUI porthole, which was the original
23 > > impetus for an API, and as far as we know, the API never made it to the
24 > > point it could replace parsing the output.
25 >
26 > If only the length of the >>> and !!! strings is a problem, then why not
27 > leave them alone and go for single-letter tags instead? Like this:
28 >
29 > [.] einfo
30 > [I] elog
31 > [W] ewarn
32 > [E] eerror
33 > [Q] eqawarn
34 >
35 > The only problematic one is [Q] instead of [QA] which is no longer
36 > self-explanatory. Then again, only devs and experienced users should see
37 > eqawarn messages.
38
39 fwiw eqawarn is currently displayed for everyone in a similar manner
40 as einfo, just not post-emerge/elog without adding to ELOG classes.
41
42 If users aren't hiding build logs entirely, they may notice those
43 done at the end (often shown after size report) -- and possibly
44 think it's a problem.
45
46 Not to say whether [Q] vs [QA] would help with this much so I have
47 no strong opinion here.
48 --
49 ionen