From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: A Schenck <lane_andrew@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 07:22:58
1 >>>>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2021, A Schenck wrote:
2
3 > On 9/28/21 8:36 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> [WW] some message
5 >> [EE] other message
6 >> [QA] hell if i know what this is
7 >>
8 >> I've also added more colors to explicitly distinguish einfo from elog,
9 >> and ewarn from eqawarn. Then, I've replaced most of '>>>' and '!!!'
10 >> used by Portage with four-character versions to keep messages aligned.
11 >> The 'zings' used for merging files remain three-character, so now it's
12 >> easily possible to distinguish messages from installed file list.
13
14 > Didn't expect to be the only dissenting opinion on something like this
15 > but. . . Some applications parse portage output looking for these
16 > 'zings'. At very least app-portage/kuroo does it this way; there must be
17 > others, right? This is obviously not the ideal way to get information
18 > out of portage, but it's been stable for the 15 years Kuroo has existed.
19 > 10-ish years ago dol-sen started some work on building and API for
20 > portage, but then got sucked into core portage development to the point
21 > of abandoning their GTK+ portage GUI porthole, which was the original
22 > impetus for an API, and as far as we know, the API never made it to the
23 > point it could replace parsing the output.
24
25 If only the length of the >>> and !!! strings is a problem, then why not
26 leave them alone and go for single-letter tags instead? Like this:
27
28 [.] einfo
29 [I] elog
30 [W] ewarn
31 [E] eerror
32 [Q] eqawarn
33
34 The only problematic one is [Q] instead of [QA] which is no longer
35 self-explanatory. Then again, only devs and experienced users should see
36 eqawarn messages.
37
38 Ulrich