From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] USE_EXPAND variable to choose ALSA PCM plugins
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:33:57
1 On Sunday 17 December 2006 14:37, Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > Since I'm not very alsa litterate, on a "typical" system, what kind of
3 > plugins - other than dmix and dsnoop - are used by "typical"
4 > applications (totem, mplayer, amarok, ...)? If a user decides to remove
5 > some plugins, do "typical" applications handle this cleanly or do they
6 > crash and burn?
7 Depends; if you want passthrough (a52 and dts), as well as direct 5.1 PCM
8 output on digital audio connectors you need iec958; ioplug is needed to
9 access almost everything (so I'm tempted to just enable it by default but it
10 might be useful to be left disabled on embedded systems); if the application
11 can't access the output device because of missing plugins, it usually just
12 tells you that it was unable to find the ALSA device.
15 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
16 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...