From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo: static/dynamic linking libraries
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:34:21
1 On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:04:07 +0200
2 Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Am Sonntag 29 April 2007 20:46 schrieb paul kölle:
5 > > Roman Zimmermann wrote:
6 > > > (without the ugly EXTRA_ECONF-hack)?
7 > >
8 > > I wonder why you call this an ugly hack? It seems to me everyone who
9 > > wishes to avoid installing static libs is able to do so with a
10 > > simple variable. Having such a feature exposed to the mainstream
11 > > crowd without proper support by developers (testing and such) will
12 > > not do any good.
15 > This is an ugly code since it's relies on econf which is - as an
16 > implementation detail - only used for packages with ./configure.
17 > (according to the ebuild howto). So it's not really a feature but a
18 > lucky assumption that most packages know what to do with "./configure
19 > --disable-static". Additionally handling exceptions with package.env
20 > can be a pain. It is much less supported by tools than package.use
21 > or .keywords.
22
23 An alternative that doesn't rely on autotools would be using
24 INSTALL_MASK.
25
26 Marius
31 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
32 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.